Moto Media

from ... Mike Phillips

After a not so good round at Taupo a week earlier I was heading down south to the fast and open Supercross track in Motueka near Nelson.  I hadn't ridin this track for about four years and I was keen to see what it was like since they had made changes a few years back.

I got there on the Saturday to race the South Island Champs and get some track time in before the serious racing started on the Sunday. It didn't all go to plan but I got a good feel for the track and the lines. I finished 4th.

Sunday rolled around and I was all set to do battle. Qualifying went a little better than the day before but they had drowned the track with water the night before and I was just trying to get around with out slipping over let alone get a fast time in. Qualified 4th.

Moto 1: I got a sweet jump and got the holeshot. I put some fast laps down and was feeling good. I had about a 3 sec lead on Josh Coppins and it was the same back to fallow Honda rider Justin McDonald. I lead for about 4 laps until I got a little crossed up through the woop section and went off the track. I was gutted. I got back on the track as fast as I could and tried to make up some time on McDonald but the there wasn't enough laps left. Finished in 3rd.

Moto 2:  I again got a good jump and came into the first turn in front but a sneaky move from McDonald saw him get to the second corner before me. I sat in 2nd a few seconds off McDonald but wasn't able to close the gap. Coppins was about the same behind me and on the last lap when I lost a little time in a rough corner he came right up on me. I pushed it all the way to the finish and was able to hold on to 2nd.

Moto 3: It was more of the same for me and my CRF450. We got to the first turn in front and claimed another holeshot. It was my race and I was feeling good but McDonald had other ideas. He came past Coppins on the opening laps and was on my back wheel. The track was wide and flowing but there wasn't many places to pass with out getting physical. I held McDonald off for a few laps but over the finish jump I let him get on the inside of me and he made the pass. I tried getting back but he covered his lines good. I finished the race in 2nd.

At the end of the day I was pretty happy with the way I was riding. A week ago I finished 5th and struggled with the Taupo track and this week I came back stronger and was fighting for the lead. I am feeling good on the bike and will take that confidence into the last round this weekend in Timaru on the 15th. 

Cheers, Mike Phillips